Women’s FA Cup: Cardiff 0-3 Robinesses

13th November 2023

Report by Grace Gunn.

Cheltenham Town Ladies cruise into the second round of the FA Cup after a dominant 3-0 victory over fellow league side, Cardiff City.

A rapid start from Tom Davies’ side saw them 1-0 up inside just three minutes after Tash Harding rocketed her shot into the top corner, giving the Cardiff keeper no chance. 

The Robinesses doubled their lead on the half hour mark through youngster Una Lue (pictured) after the number 21 struck a low driven shot into the bottom corner, securing her first first-team goal.

With the game all but wrapped up, Lue extended the visitors’ lead, netting her second of the match following an unstoppable strike in the 60th minute, securing their place in the next round.

First Half: 

The Robinesses came out firing as it took them just three minutes to open the scoring after Harding blasted her effort from the edge of the box into the top corner.

The dominant display continued as moments later, Phoebie Poole went through on goal, looking to take aim, but the Cardiff defender provided a vital interception, sending the ball away from the striker.

A second goal looked to be on the horizon following the constant Robiness pressure after Poole calmly took the ball past the keeper, sending a through ball into the feet of Meg Lewis but a goal line clearance from the hosts saw Lewis’ ‘tap in’ cleared.

Still looking the create a two-goal cushion, Davies’ side again went close, this time rattling the crossbar after Daisy Ackerman’s cross was met by Emily Owen, but the captain’s headed attempt was saved by the woodwork.

After continuous dominance, the Robinesses doubled their lead with Lue calmly dispatching her shot low into the bottom corner. 

The visitors looked comfortable as they headed in with a two-goal lead at the break.

Second Half:

The Robinesses came out just as they left off as Ackerman drove down the wing before being wiped out in the process, winning a free kick.

Ackerman sent in the free kick, which is met by Owen once again, but the defender’s header drifted just wide of the post.

Putting the hosts to the sword, Lue doubled her goal tally and provided a three-goal cushion after striking her effort into the top corner, all but securing her side’s place into the next round.

The chances continued to flow for the Robinesses as Emily Allen broke through on the left before curling one towards goal, but the keeper was alert to the danger. 

Despite having little do throughout the game, goalkeeper Aimee Watson remained focused and secured her third consecutive clean sheet after a point-blank range save in the dying embers of the game.

The Robinesses put themselves into the hat after a professional and dominant display at the Newport Stadium.

Cheltenham: Watson, Owen, Llewellyn, Finch (Jones, 64’), Ackerman (Buxton, 73’), Allen, Collis, Lewis, Harding (Davies, 59’) Poole, Lue

D2 Interactive