Robinesses 0-4 Rugby Borough

8th January 2024

Report by Grace Gunn.

Cheltenham Town Ladies suffered a tough 4-0 defeat in the opening game of 2024 after a late onslaught from visitors Rugby Borough.

Despite having the best chances of the first half, it was Lee Burch’s Borough side who broke the deadlock after Nicky Potts struck from the edge of the area on the 70th minute mark.

The visitors were quick to double their lead through Sam Curwood-Wagner before substitute Camwell added a third after her shot cannoned in off the post.

With the Robinesses looking to fight back, Borough countered with Lucy Whipp netting a fourth, hitting an unstoppable half-volley.

First Half:

Tom Davies’ side started well, earning an early free kick but the Robinesses’ set piece couldn’t find a red shirt.

Moments later Borough looked to break through, but keeper Aimee Watson (pictured) rushed off her line to bravely claim the ball before the visitors were able to take aim.

The rapid Lily Billingham reacted to a misplaced Borough goal kick, winning back possession high up the pitch, however the number 10’s effort drifted just wide of the post. 

The hosts’ early pressure almost broke the deadlock after the returning Henna Butcher came agonisingly close, but her narrowed-angle strike was kept out by the post.

Again, Butcher came close to an opener after storming through the sea of blue shirts and into the box, but keeper Erin Foley produced a great save to prevent the Robinesses from going ahead. 

A chance to go in ahead at the break went beckoning for Davies’ side after Maisy Collis’ corner met defender Courtney Jones but the number two guided her header just over the bar.

Second Half:

A strong start from the visitors saw keeper Watson called into action early on, standing strong, making a double save from point blank range. 

Burch’s Borough continued to apply the pressure, giving the Robinesses no time on the ball, as they look to open the scoring, but Angelina Nixon’s long-range effort blazed over the bar.

The dominant pressure eventually paid off for the visitors as they struck in the 70th minute mark following Potts’ goal from the edge of the area. 

One soon became two after Mosby threaded the ball into Curwood-Wagner, who drilled the ball low into the bottom corner, giving Watson no chance. 

The Robinesses looked to get back into the game with just 10 minutes left as substitute Daisy Ackerman drove down the right wing, laying the ball into the feet of Una Lue but the striker’s effort fell into the arms of Foley.

A late double from Borough confirmed all three points despite Cheltenham’s best efforts to get back into the game as the Robinesses now look to bounce back against Plymouth Argyle next time out.

Cheltenham: Watson, Owen, Jones, Llewellyn, Buxton, Allen, Taylor, Collis, Davies (Poole, 80’), Billingham (Ackerman, 71’), Butcher (Lue, 63’)

Cheltenham Player of the Match: Aimee Watson

Attendance: 159

D2 Interactive