Robinesses 4-3 MK Dons

17th September 2023

Report by Grace Gunn.

Cheltenham Town Ladies provide incredible comeback to seal all three points at home against MK Dons Women.

The Robinesses took an early lead after Emily Allen curled her effort into the top corner, giving the keeper no chance but moments into the second half, the visitors struck an equaliser.

MK Dons went ahead for the first time in the match upon the 60th minute and soon doubled their lead after winning and dispatching a penalty but the hosts created a lifeline after substitute Henna Butcher slotted the ball home.

Just minutes later, the Robinesses earned a penalty with captain Emily Owen (pictured) making no mistake in converting before the in-form Phoebie Poole snatched all three points with a low driven goal.

First Half:

The Robinesses began the stronger side as they worked their way into the lead with just four minutes on the clock after Allen curled her effort beautifully into the top right corner.

The lead was almost instantly doubled after Daisy Ackerman drove down the wing, sending in a low ball but the cross was only met by white shirts.

Cheltenham’s high pressure continued as Charlie Taylor won back possession for her side before looping a long ball into the opposition’s box, but keeper Sansom came to claim.

MK Dons began to work themselves into the game, but their chances were hard to come by after Ffion Llewellyn continued to cause problems and intercept their attempts.

Searching for their second, Poole came close after Annabel Davies turned past her defender, looping the ball into the number nine but the linesman signalled offside.

The Robinesses’ defence stood resolute after the visitors’ free kick was cut out and cleared before the red’s keeper Aimee Watson produced a great save to prevent MK Dons’ long ranger.

Cheltenham headed in 1-0 up at the break thanks to Allen’s wonder strike.

Second Half:

Moments after the break, Poole looked to double Cheltenham’s lead, but her effort just drifted wide.

From one end of the pitch to the other, the away side found the equaliser after Laura Mitchell converted her chance.

The first change of the day for the home side saw Davies make way for Megan Lewis however just minutes later, the visitors found themselves ahead after Rhianne Rush struck from distance, into the top corner.

With 20 minutes left, manager Tom Davies looked to switch things up as Ackerman and Lily Billingham exited the field for the returning Henna Butcher and Charlotte Buxton.

The lead for MK Dons doubled after a controversial penalty was awarded and scored by Mollie Coupar.

The Robinesses refused to give up though as Poole’s produced a blistering run through the middle before getting her shot away where the keeper could only parry it into the feet of Butcher who knocked it into the back of the net on her return from injury.

Three minutes later, the Robinesses were level after the Cheltenham attack cause the away side’s defence issues, winning a vital penalty; under pressure, Owen smashed the ball past Sansom, bringing her side back to 3-3.

With just injury time left, the hosts looked to push for the winner as Maisy Collis tried her luck from an angled position, but the effort couldn’t stay on target.

An injury time winner from Poole clinched all three points for the Robinesses after the number nine slotted her fourth goal of the season past Sansom, sending the crowd into jubilation.

Cheltenham: Watson, Owen, Llewellyn, Jones, Ackerman (Buxton, 71’), Collis, C.Taylor, Billingham (Butcher, 71’),(Finch, 90), Davies (Lewis, 53’), Allen, Poole.

Attendance: 153

D2 Interactive