CTLFC 2-1 Portishead Town Ladies

30th September 2021

Report by Jamie Cameron

Cheltenham Town Ladies made it four straight league wins with a comeback victory over Portishead Town, winning 2-1 at the Corinium Stadium.

The visitors had taken the lead through Rosie Hill and led at half-time, but Cheltenham levelled when Abby Bevan (pictured) tapped in from a Holly Rogers cross.

The Robins then went ahead minutes later when another cross wasn’t cleared and Amy Wathan was there to score.

It’s a result that takes Cheltenham three points clear at the top of the Women’s National League Division One South West.

Wednesday night’s starting line-up saw four changes to the side that beat Maidenhead 4-1 at the weekend.

Rogers and Sammy Hallsworth returned to the XI, while Lois Colley and new signing Kate Bowden also earned starts, as Charlotte Criddle, Georgie-Marie Barbour-Gresham, Ellie Walecki and Jade Grove dropped out.

Cheltenham started the better of the two sides as Billie Haynes headed wide, Lacy-Jai Liggett narrowly missed the target from a Courtney Jones through ball, and Hallsworth drilled into the hands of the visiting ‘keeper.

Rogers also came close before Hill gave Portishead the lead. She twisted and turned to create space for the shot, and fired into the far corner across Aimee Watson, a very well-taken finish.

It took the Robins a few minutes to recover from that set-back, but once they did, they created several chances before the break.

Hallsworth and Rogers again came close, as did Lois Colley and Lacy-Jai Liggett as Tom Davies’ side went into the interval behind.

The pattern of play continued early in the second half as Rogers shot over from the edge of the area, but the equaliser came on 52 minutes.

Rogers was again involved, and as she did on Sunday, she stood up a perfect cross from the right-hand side to the back post and Bevan was there to finish.

Portishead almost re-took the lead from a corner, but it was Cheltenham who made their dominance pay a few moments later.

Another cross from the right caused panic among the defenders, and the clearance could only find Wathan, who slotted home from close range.

The visitors did have a clear opening on 71 minutes when the ball fell for their player to hit on the volley with Watson slightly out of position, but her effort went wide.

That was followed by a strange moment as the referee went off feeling unwell. He was swiftly replaced by one of his assistants, and thankfully was able to carry on as one of the linesmen for the final 10 minutes.

Rogers hit the crossbar as a goal in a dynamic attacking performance evaded her, before Watson made an unbelievable save to keep her team ahead.

A Portishead shot from range came down off the bar and fell for their attacker, but her effort from close range was somehow kept out.

That was the last big chance of the game, Cheltenham seeing out another big win ahead of Sunday’s game with AFC Bournemouth.

Cheltenham: Watson, Colley, Butler (Barbour-Gresham 75), Jones (Groves 70), Hallsworth, Haynes, Liggett, Bowden (Criddle 62), Bevan, Rogers (Hayward 88), Wathan.
Subs not used: Donnelly.

Robins’ Player of the Match: Lacy-Jai Liggett.

For the digital match programme for this game, click here.

D2 Interactive