Robinesses 2-2 Cardiff City Ladies

8th September 2023

Report by Grace Gunn.

Cheltenham Town Ladies earn a tough point under the lights at Kayte Lane after coming from behind to draw 2-2 against Cardiff City LFC.

The Robinesses went ahead on the half an hour mark after Emily Allen smashed her effort into the top corner, breaking the deadlock.

However, Cardiff wasted no time in getting back into the game after Cori Williams caught her volley with precision, equalising just four minutes later.

The opposition took the lead moments before half time as Chloe Lloyd’s shot from range hit the back of the net.

The early stages of the second half saw the Robinesses equalise after Phoebie Poole smashed her effort past the keeper.

It was Cardiff who had the early chance after winning a free kick, but keeper Aimee Watson made no mistake in dealing with the attempt.

Just minutes later, Poole came close to the opener after Lily Billingham provided an inch-perfect through ball into the number nine’s feet, but the effort was comfortable for Cardiff’s Laura O’Sullivan.

The chances continue to come for the Robinesses through Daisy Ackerman after the number three made an overlapping before sending the ball into Poole, but the keeper is there again to make a crucial save. After multiple chances for the home side, Cardiff work their way back into the game as they went on the attack, winning a corner, but the Robinesses stay resolute, clearing their lines.

Soon after, the deadlock was broken, and it was the home side who struck first after Cardiff failed to clear their lines, leaving Allen time to strike the ball into the top corner.

The lead was short lived however, with C. Williams striking back just four minutes later following Laura William’s cross into the box.

Cheltenham continued to push for their second and came close after Maisy Collis skipped through the defence, taking her shot from a narrow angle, but the effort clipped the cross bar.

The away side took the lead on the stroke of half time after Lloyd’s shot from range curled into the back of the net.

Cardiff’s late goal in the first half saw them 2-1 up at the break.

The Robinesses came out firing as they pushed for an equaliser as captain Emily Owen floated in a looping cross, but keeper O’Sullivan was first to it, beating Poole to the loose ball.

Poole made amends just moments later, smashing the ball home after Ackerman drove down the wing, drifting a pin-pointed cross into the feet of the number nine.

With both sides looking for the winner, Ffion Llewellyn stood strong as she provided a vital intercept before creating a counterattack, laying it off to Ackerman but the wing-back’s long range effort lands comfortably for O’Sullivan.

As the final 20 minutes approached, manager Tom Davies looked to freshen things up with Ackerman making way for Megan Lewis.

Cheltenham continued to apply the pressure as Poole again struck a strong shot, forcing the keeper into a save after skipping past the defence.

The flurry of chances continued for the home side as Poole put her head down and drove through once again, flashing the ball across the face of goal but it was only a sea of gold shirts who were there to see out the cross.

Another chance beckoned for the Robinesses’ number nine after Llewellyn hit a long ball over to Poole, who beat her player, but the effort drifted agonisingly wide.

With just minutes to go and Cardiff continuing to apply late pressure, Llewellyn retained focus and provided a crucial interception ahead of the final whistle.

The points were shared after a tough battle at Kayte Lane.

Cheltenham: Watson, Jones, Owen, Llewellyn, J. Taylor, Collis (Davies 78), C. Taylor, Ackerman (Lewis 67), Allen, Poole, Billingham.
Unused subs: Finch, Lue, Young.

Cheltenham Player of the Match: Emily Allen.

Attendance: 128

D2 Interactive